Sunday, May 9, 2010

Thanks to HIM

This blog post is dedicated to MY mom. The woman who taught me how to be a good mother.

I'm sure most of you know that a couple months ago my family and I took some family portraits. Every couple of years myself, my husband and our boys along with my brother and sister get together and take some pictures for my mom and dad. We usually give them as a gift for Mother's Day which most of the time also falls on my dad's birthday ♥. Two birds with one stone right?
This year instead of the typical Sears portraits I decided to book an actual "photo shoot" to get some different kinds of pictures. There was no doubt in my mind that I wanted our photographer to be Nataly Lemus.

I have worked with Nataly before being that she is an outstanding wedding photographer. Not only did I know her work was awesome but I knew that my family and I would be comfortable with Nataly and her husband Art. I was right. Our shoot was amazing.

 A couple of weeks later Nataly blogged about our family photo session and when I read the words she wrote about our family I was so touched and honored. But something specific she wrote got me thinking.
And if you know me, you know that sometimes I need to take things in. I'm not quick-witted. I'm not fast with comebacks. I take in words and actions and I think long and hard about them. It's just me. I'm super sentimental.
So when I read Nataly's words:
"I have always told Art that if I had to choose between having all girls or all boys, I would choose all girls. This session totally changed my mind! Seeing the way the boys interact and love their parents made me say "I would not mind having all boys, at all." If you know me then you know that is a huge statement because I always talk about wanting girls when I have children".

I was taken aback. Surprised and grateful that my little family could have an impact like that.

Like I said in my previous post I'm a girly-girl. A glitter and sparkles kinda girl. A hate-camping, love-to-dress-up, cross-your-legs-like-a-lady kinda girl. So of course I always imagined the day that I would have a little girl of my own. A little "me". To dress up in cute frilly outfits. To put ribbons and bows on every strand of hair imaginable. I had the nursery all planned out in my head, pink crystal chandelier and all.

When it came time for my ultrasound during my 3rd pregnancy I just knew it was gonna be a girl. Third X's the charm right? Plus, I had taken every online quiz imaginable! Even the Chinese calendar said I would be having a girl! This time my pregnancy was "different". It had to be a girl!

And then the ultrasound wand scaled over my tummy and found that little "something" between my baby's legs. It was a boy. ANOTHER one. It was Dominic.



Over the years I've realized that having all boys has opened up my eyes to things I never saw before. I never knew the wonders of looking at spiders and bugs through magnifying glasses. I never thought about how trains, or planes or boats worked. I never knew how to understand all the plays in a football game. I never knew what it felt like to be the number one lady in the eyes of a little boy.
And then, just like that, it hit me. This was God's plan all along.

HE gave me my boys. HE wanted me to see the world through different eyes. HE wanted to open me up to new experiences. HE wanted to bring out a whole different side of me and give me a whole different view on life. And HE did. And I'm SO grateful. For MY boys. That I was given this grand opportunity to be THEIR mother.
So yes, I have 3 boys. And no, I'm not gonna "try" for that girl. Life is just the way it should be. Thanks to HIM.


Happy Mother's Day!
♥ Elena

"I'd rather be a mother than anyone on earth
Bringing up a child or two of unpretentious birth
I'd rather tuck a little child all safe and sound in bed
than twine a chain of diamonds about my carefree head
I'd rather wash a smudgy face with round, bright, baby eyes
Than paint the pageantry of fame or walk among the wise" - Meredith Gray

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post...loved reading it

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are such an awesome mommy :) i love the pic of dominic....and i totally agree with the other person, beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant every word I typed :) Your boys are out-of-this-world amazing! In all honesty, I think you have the perfect family that God created just for you. I loved this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I know I told you this a lot of times already, but one more time won't hurt! Thank you for allowing me to photograph your beautiful family! xoxo Nat

    ReplyDelete
  6. ELENA!! You brought tears to my eyes! Love, Love this post! You have reassured me that God does have a plan for us. I cant wait to be a Mom! All boys, all girls, a mix of both: It's all in Gods hands <3 YOU!

    ReplyDelete